Welcome to my Pity Party... The rules:
1- no laughter! only whining, pouting, crying, and complaining.
2- don't judge
OK Let's PARTY!
Sooo... for starters, hellooooo... where have I been for a month? busy. I started a new job at the Attorney General's Office working for the State. I enjoy it... for the most part. There are a few things I could definitely live without, but such is life.
Recently I have been really missing home... or just the mainland in general. So I know, you're probably thinking "yeah, yeah... you live in Hawaii, I don't want to hear it!" Well let me tell you a few things about living here in Hawaii that aren't what you would call paradise!
1- TRAFFIC! Oh my gosh! the other day it took me an HOUR to get home from Brint's school, which by the way is only 3 1/2 miles away from where we live! 1 HOUR! I was so annoyed! But also, for whatever reason the people that designed the road system here are plain right idiots! they all should be hanged! (Ok.. that was a joke, I don't really think they should die)
2- Aloha Spirit- What is aloha spirit exactly??? Is it, hey let me give you the shaka aka the hang loose symbol and now I can be a "bad word" and get away with whatever I want? Yup, pretty much! Grrr....
3- Now this one is a really touchy subject... I want to say the people aka Locals here, but not all of them are this way, just a lot of them... I have been really, really, really having a hard time trying to fit in here. Unfortunately, if you are not from here, you are NOT wanted here and the people make it known to you of this. No matter who it is that you're talking to, people at work, grocery store, church, heck even your Stake President's wife I have felt completely unwelcome. I had a few instances where I was told "this is not the mainland, we do things different here." Well I have something to say about that. I KNOW that this is NOT the mainland because of how A$$ backwards this state is run, because of how unfriendly the people are here, because when I walk into McDonalds and they sell a Local Moco plate with spam & eggs over rice and it's cheaper than a regular cheese burger. Because when I get into an elevator and I am the only female in that elevator with 3 other men and I am taller than all of them. When I go to work and say good morning to people and they look at me like I'm crazy and then talk crap about me behind my back and try to get me fired because "I'm different!" Believe me, I KNOW that this is not the mainland.
4- Money! I feel like Hawaii is a big black hole sucking all of our money from us. We live in tiny, old, piece of crap little added-on apartment no more than 600 sqft and pay $1350 a month! Eek! I go to the grocery store and spend $150 and it's only enough food to last a week, maybe two if I can stretch it enough and keep our portions small. The worst is that a gallon of milk cost more than a gallon of gas! What the crap is up with that?
5- Just plain and simple I miss having close friends and family around. I miss being able to drive, not fly, home! Or really just get on a freeway and drive where is speed limit is greater than 45mph!
Those are my top 5 reasons for not wanting to call this place paradise, however, there are more reason that would guarantee that this is paradise, but I don't want to talk about those!
There is one other thing that I am really struggling with recently and that is, I am especially missing Duke. He wasn't able to come back to Hawaii with us because of the temperature in Phoenix, it was too hot to fly live animals out of there. So now we have to wait until we come home for xmas to bring it back with us. Man do we miss him. Being gone from him the entire summer and now being home but he's not here with us is just killing us. By the end of this year we will have been apart from him for 7 months! *totally crying....* can't wait until the day our little family is reunited again. Until then, I'll be hanging out at my Pity Party!
10 comments:
I remember the traffic/roads when we were over there a few years ago! It is insane! I don't blame you for not calling it paradise! Although it is a beautiful place to visit, I don't think I'd want to live there! I hope you are happy the remainder of your stay though!
Oh brea! I'm giving you a long distance squeeze right now! I can relate to some degree. The culture of Texas is so different from good old Arizona. I'm totally homesick too. (Another long distance squeeze) I hope things start getting better. Oops. Was that against the pity party rules to say that? Well, I love you from afar! Good luck!
i know brea. its so hard sometimes. i have lived in places that don't feel "at home." for the most part we suck it up, but we all have those days that we need a pitty party. i agree with you; hawaii is a beautiful place to visit, but i would never want to live there either. i'm so sorry people are excluding you and making you feel bad.
when i lived in my "not-so-homey" place, i turned to the lord for everything. and believe it or not, it REALLY helped.
good luck. i'll pray for you.
nat
aw Brea, I'm sorry! I know what you mean, although I can't say I've had people be so openly mean before, just because you're not from here! That is so rude. You are so sweet and they should shut it. This place is full of imports. It's funny, it's usually the ones who aren't even Hawaiian that are the loud mouths telling people to get out. THat makes me so mad. And I would have given the Stake President's wife a piece of my mind. Seriously. She should know better. But try not to let it get to you, Heavenly Father is mindful of your trials and will bless you even more if you react graciously.
But some people need a high five to the face with your fist.
HAHA this post made me laugh since I am going through some fo the same things being new to hawaii. It was interesting to hear it from someone else.
Haha OMG! You just said all the things I'm always scared to say. Just yesterday I was at the grocery store picking apples when two ladies next to me looking at the same bunch of apples were talking and all I heard was one of them say "You know WHY? Because he is a HAOLE. Haoles don't care about anything." I didn't even know how to react so I just raised my eyebrows at them and moved on. As much as I love this place and all it's beauty, most of the time I feel like I'm not wanted here and it really makes me ready to leave. I always thought of Hawaii as such a hippy happy place but it's definitely the least tolerant place I've ever been. It makes me miss my family and just the people in general back home (or anywhere, really) a thousand times more. I'm ready to see where the wind takes me & the hubbs next after graduation. We're trying to get to South America. :) Totally jealous of your stint in Brazil this summer. Sorry about your puppy, though... I know thats gotta suck. :(
Oh Brea- I know i KNOW! Change is only fun for a while, sometimes. I really hope you can overcome some of those things. I hope those things that are so hard become not-so-bad. I know that it can. I know you can love your situation (but it doesn't mean you won't be counting down the days until you are back home!) I still can't believe some of the crap you deal with. Ugh! Are you guys moving back soon? And by soon I mean after school? I'm away from AZ for the next SEVERAL years and that thought is one I tend to push OUT of my mind... just makes me sad.
I LOVE YOU! Seriously this is the week I've been having and the fact that I cant call you a complain drives me crazy! But at the same time I feel liek all I do is complain, so Im glad youre doing it too. =) But it wont be long until you;re home and with your family agian. Youre awesome! And the best friend a girl could have. but sont think that just bc i posted means im going to update my blog...ps wasnt that piture taken in mexico?!
xoxo Ash
I am so sad about Duke! I believe that Arizona was too hot. That's ridiculous. I hate being stuck living somewhere I don't want to be. I hope things work out!
I'm sorry Brea. I can't wait to pity party with you tho. :) Actually, I'm excited for you guys to come here for Christmas! I miss you like crazy!
Post a Comment