Igreja de São Francisco
(aka The "Golden Church")
Brint and I finally made it to go and see this church! I wish my pictures could do it justice. This was the most incredible church I've ever seen. From the outside you wouldn't believe that this church building is one, if not, the most expensive in the world. With over 2200 pounds of gold inside helping sculpt and decorate the walls, ceilings, and ornaments. Like I said, INCREDIBLE!
 |
| This was a room before you entered the Chapel area. |
 |
| Look at that.... it was so beautiful! I wish I had a professional camera. |
 |
Click on the picture!!!
you will see a Silver chandelier hanging from the ceiling... This chandelier is pure silver! |
 |
| The ceiling! These images are the original painter's works. |
 |
| There were about 10 different archways and each one had a different sculpture as it's focal point. |
 |
| This picture gives you more of an idea of what it really looked like... The gold on the walls were amazing! |
 |
This picture is taken from the back of the chapel facing forward!
BEAUTIFUL! |
 |
This is a small room that was for the black slaves to come and worship and listen to the sermon.
They were not allowed in the main chapel, but they were allowed to look at the Saint shown in the picture below. |
 |
| This is a Black Saint that was meant to represent the African slaves. This is what the slaves saw as they sat and listened to the sermons. |
 |
| Right outside the chapel, there was an area where the local people could come and bury their dead in the church. |
 |
| This is called the Ossoário, or Bone Receptacle |
 |
| This is a mural of the Bible scene Abraham and Isaac. |
 |
| This room is the Sacristy. The photos below are different views of the room. |
Wasn't that AMAZING??? Wish you could see it for yourself. It completely overwhelmed me with beauty!
3 comments:
oh my GORGEOUS! Seriously, so beautiful!
and the outside of the church is quite beautiful as well! and that is a good representation of "dont judge a book by its cover!"
i'm so jealous that you've gotten to go and see all these fabulous places! but i've loved living the experience through your posts. So fun!!!
I'm glad you're getting this experience! miss you!
HOLY MOLY!! That's amazing! I love how ornate and intricate all the deco seems to be!
WOW!!! This church is so EXTRAVAGANT... It looks incredible!!
Post a Comment